Wednesday July 17, 2013

We are having one of those stretches of summer weather where the heat and humidity are oppressive.  Add to that my hot flashes, and, well, it's not pretty...

The week is cruising by, filled with meetings and speech writing and taking Erin to and from volleyball camp.  Erin and her buddy Lexie spent three nights at the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse. They were resident campers, staying in the dorms and making new friends.  Oh, and they worked on their volleyball a little bit, too.

It was a great experience and they were happy to go and happy to come home.  The first sleep away camp experience was a success.  They made new friends from other Southern Minnesota towns, and they hope to all hook up again next year.


We have been doing the final bit of planning for the MGG Swings for Shannon golf tournament coming up this Monday.  I am excited to see all the names of people coming to play, and the even bigger list of people who have donated to the cause.  (Dan thinks he's got the winning team, so somebody else in the field better take them down!)

I have finalized my speech for tomorrow - speaking at a Rotary luncheon here in Rochester.  Erin will come along with me and be my date since Dan is on the road in Michigan.  Work is busy for him, and busy is good.  He signed another big account this week, so all those days on the road do pay off.

I have to get working on next Tuesday's speech, too, but that will be this weekend's project.  I hope some Rochester folks will come out on Tuesday for the UMR Connects event and the book signing afterwards.  I'd hate to be standing on that big stage in the shadow of the Gonda building talking to a bunch of empty chairs...

As I was talking to Dan last night on the phone, I was going on and on about all the stuff I had to do for the golf tournament and getting ready to speak and he said, "Isn't it good that you have the time to do this right now?"  He is so right.  Crazy how things work out like that sometimes...

So, tonight I am grateful.  Grateful for the opportunities ahead in the next week to reach people, have some fun, and carry on Shannon's spirit.