Friday August 30, 2013

Wow, what a week it has been.  Here's a quick synopsis:  Shannon O'Hara Foundation Board of Directors meeting, St. Jude Fall Festival of Hope meeting,  IBM charitable giving meeting, a speech to the Kiwanis group, a meeting with our publishers, two volleyball games, and one visit to my grandma...

Uff da.

There is an internal conflict that goes on when I have a week like this.  Why am I doing this?  I hate asking people for money, but I love sharing our story.  In order to make a difference in this world, we have to be able donate to the research that will someday change the outcome for kids like Shannon.  And in the short term, we are helping kids through scholarships.  But, in order to do that, we have to raise money.  It's a vicious cycle.

Nevertheless,  it's been a really good week.  Erin's volleyball season is off and running.  There are games every week from here on out, and that's the fun part.  Erin is playing a new position this year - setter - and it means she's a part of the action on almost every point.  Pretty fun for her.  A lot of fun for me and Dan.

Between volleyball and Dan's work schedule, we've got a busy September ahead.

In my publishing meeting yesterday, we discussed the future of Determined to Matter.  We think it still has legs, although I haven't heard from Ellen DeGeneres or Oprah yet...

Like I've said before, if it helps one person at a time, that's good with me.  I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but I'm going on the assumption that if you are still following this blog, you still care.

Earlier this week we received an email from a woman who had suffered the loss of her husband just a few days after Shannon passed away.  Her sister-in-law bought her a copy of Determined to Matter, and she took the time to write us and tell us that our story is helping her:

Jen & Dan,

I finished reading your book today and so appreciated your words which so often aligned with my journey of grief with losing my husband.  Our pre-loss experiences were very different, but your ability to share your grief reassured me that I am working through my feelings in a normal and healthy way.  I took my girls on a trip, money isn't as important as it once was to me, and we even read the same daily devotional book.  Again, I just want to thank you for your ability to blog about your experience.  It was so good to see you write so many of the same things that I have felt and said over the last year and a half.  Bless you all as you continue to make that new normal life for the three of you.  My girls are both now in college, and we continue to do the same.

Notes like these keeping us pressing on.  Good things are ahead.  I just know it.

Happy Labor Day Weekend, everyone!