Friday December 9, 2016

The last time I wrote, I was lamenting that it was still warm and the grass was green... be careful what you wish for! The forecast for the next week says single digit high temps and potentially 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow. OK then...

Sylvie the cat loves to be outside, but she's not winter-tough quite yet - she whines and scratches the door to go out, and then minutes later, she's meowing to come back in. Over and over and over... I'm happy to say Sunny the Wonderdog is smarter than that - go out, do your business, come in and return to the couch or the bed...

Two weeks left until winter break for Erin. She said to me yesterday "I love my school". Mayo, along with the other Rochester high schools, are in the middle of their holiday fundraising. Mayo's is called GOFA - Give One For All - with proceeds going to the Dorothy Day House and the Women's Shelter. As a student government member, Erin has been a part of organizing GOFA activities. Last year, they raised just over $40,000. It is fun to see how passionate the kids are about doing something for the greater good.

I had a Facebook memory pop up today of Erin, 5 years ago:


She is standing outside the Grizzly House, the on campus housing for patient families at St. Jude. This time 5 years ago was the beginning of Shannon's decline and Erin was there to watch the whole thing.

I don't know how to quantify the journey that kid has been on for the past 5 years. Erin is her own person, but she shares so many good qualities with the sister she lost. Erin had to learn at such a young age to be tough and compassionate at the same time. I think it will serve her well.

So, on we go towards the holidays. It's a time of year to reflect and count your blessings. Mine are many...