Thanksgiving

Today is a day about family and gratitude...we have plenty of both.

On these holidays, it is impossible not to think about our loss and how much we miss Shannon.  But, when I can get my mind to see the good in the world around us, then I feel grateful for what we have gained.

I am thankful for all that Shannon taught us in her short life and through her battle.  Our world changed because of her, and I have gratitude for the new awareness I have of the world around me.

I am thankful for family and friends who support us in so many ways, big and small.  No one does it alone in this life.  We need people to share in our joy and our sadness.  Thankfully, we've got people.

I am thankful for the stability and security we have - a home we love and jobs we like.  Erin, Dan, and I have much to be grateful for right here in front of us every day.

I am thankful for a deeper understanding of who I am, who we are, and of the things that really matter in my life.  I know now how much they really mean to me, and I no longer take any of that for granted.

So, as we carry on this holiday weekend, some things will be the same - family, food, football - and some things will be very different.  I will certainly have my moments spent remembering what we've lost.  But, I hope I can spend more moments looking around and seeing what's still here, and feeling grateful for that.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.