Friday July 12, 2013

I bought a new phone case yesterday.  (Actually, I got a new phone but that's not the point of this story.)  So, as I'm looking at the wide range of cases, I gravitate towards the lime green one.  It hits me that lime green has become my new color of choice.  Why not.

Shannon has been front and center this week for me.  I have three "Shannon events" in the next 11 days, so it's time to focus on her story, our story, our message again.  It feels like it's been a while now since the book launch, so I am excited to get back to work.

In the next few weeks, I will speak to the Rotary Club, help with the inaugural Mayo Girls Golf Swings for Shannon tournament, and do a public speaking engagement at the Peace Plaza in downtown Rochester.  For someone who used to be a serious introvert, I now find myself looking forward to these events.  When I step back and think about it, it's amazing how much Shannon has changed my life.

Back at the book signing event in St. Paul, Erin was asked a question about how she was able to move forward after Shannon died.  "Acceptance" she explained.  Acceptance is a daily process for us, and some days are better than others.  As I start to focus on these upcoming events, I struggle a bit with the emotions surrounding our story.  But, this is my course now, my mission, so I'll push on.

Here are the nuts and bolts of the upcoming public events.  We'd love to have you join us:

Monday, July 22nd - MGG Swings for Shannon Golf Scramble 
2pm at Eastwood Golf Course  
Need to register by Sunday - call Coach Steve Myhro at 507-280-9824

Tuesday, July 23rd UMR Connects Speaker Series 
7pm at the Peace Plaza followed by a book signing at Barnes &Noble 
Free and open to the public  

I have received some positive feedback lately from people who have read the book.  In fact, on our way home from Paris, a lady at O'Hare airport took the time to stop me and say "I recognized you sitting there and I just wanted to say how much your blog and book have meant to me."  She's a Rochester native, but lives in Portland, Oregon now and was in Chicago visiting family.  Erin thought it was pretty cool that someone recognized me.  My only regret is that I looked like hell after a nine hour flight from Paris!

Then, yesterday, in line at the phone store, a woman came up and said, "I read your book and it was helpful to me, so thank you for writing it."  She has had her own cancer diagnosis, and Determined to Matter helped her think differently about it.

So, moments like those help me to push on and continue this work.  Next month, our inaugural SOF scholarship winners will head off to college.  That feels good.  Shannon will never go to college, but others can in her memory.  Acceptance.

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose.  All that we love deeply becomes a part of us. - Helen Keller