Thursday July 25, 2013

It has been a stretch of days here - so busy that I've barely had time to pee, much less write a blog!  Too busy, too scattered to gather my thoughts and share them with you.  But, tonight, I will give it a shot...

Backtrack to Monday and the first annual MGG Swings for Shannon.  The forecast was really doom and gloom and everybody was thinking to themselves that thunderstorms could hit at any moment.  But they didn't.  We can't help but think that Shannon was taking care of us.

Lots of people were sporting lime green, and as far as I could tell, everyone was wearing a smile.


















In the end, we raised over $8000 for Mayo Girls Golf and the Shannon O'Hara Foundation.  Amazing. The date is already set for next year, so mark your calendars for July 21, 2014.  And, if you want to see more photos, check out the foundation website.

There was no time to rest on my laurels, because Tuesday night I spoke at the University of Minnesota, Rochester speaker series.  This was my biggest stage yet.  Literally - it was on the big stage outside on the Peace Plaza in downtown Rochester!  If you have known me a long time, you know that in the past, this would have terrified me.  Not anymore.


I had free reign to do as I pleased, and I spoke for almost 40 minutes about our journey with Shannon, the importance of the research, and our work to keep her spirit alive through the foundation.  I managed to make a bunch of people laugh and cry again, so I guess I'm doing something right.

Each time I get the chance, I can find the strength to talk about Shannon.  I always feel sad afterwards - from telling her story, looking at her pictures, and wishing it were different.  That doesn't appear to be getting any easier with time.  But, in the moment, when I am speaking, I am happy to be talking about my girl.  In the moment, my fear disappears...

There are no more speaking engagements on the calendar until the big St. Jude fundraiser in September, but I'm still hopeful there will be more opportunities in the future.

So, with those events behind us, tonight we are packing and preparing to head to Lake Hubert tomorrow.  Dan and I can't wait to have our morning coffee and sit with Shannon at her rock.

Monday is looming.  Shannon's birthday.  She would have been 15.

It's still unbelievable sometimes.