Wednesday January 22, 2014

Can we all agree that January has been a rough one?  I know I'm feel in' it.  The combination of absolutely awful weather and a busy schedule of Shannon events has me running on empty...

Earlier this week, I did a radio interview with a talk radio host in La Crosse.  It's still my mission to share our story - even if it is difficult and even if it leaves me feeling worn down.  As I've said before, I can't imagine not sharing it, so this is what I do.

If you are bored at work, you can listen to the podcast.  I'm on starting around the 42 minute mark:   http://www.1490wlfn.com/podcast.html.



We are really looking forward to this Saturday's SOF event.  We are combining two events into one - the Mayo Girl's Shannon Night, which was canceled due to bad weather, will be run simultaneously with our Scholarship Night.  So, at Saturday's JM vs. Mayo game at Graham Arena there will be fundraising events (including the ever popular chuck-a-puck), a donation check presentation from the Mayo girls, and we will announce our 2014 scholarship recipients.

Our SOF Board of Directors met this past weekend to choose our scholarship recipients and we definitely had our work cut out for us.  We had 21 applicants this year - double our total from last year - and we feel honored to read these essays and get to know these kids.  Don't worry, people, there is hope and promise in these future leaders.

So, we are excited to announce this year's recipients this Saturday and we hope to have a big crowd there to celebrate with us.  The support of this community has been amazing, and we hope you can come and enjoy the fruits of that labor.

Details:

SOF Scholarship Night presented by Mayo Girl's Hockey 
Saturday, January 25th - 7:30pm - Graham Arena  
JM vs. Mayo Boys Hockey Game


This is all such good stuff, but it came from something awful.  During these cold, dark days of January, I have trouble letting go of that sometimes.  All of this is happening because Shannon is gone.  It's a tough thing for me to reconcile sometimes.

But, as I've said before, this is the best option available to us.  Honor her spirit, and do some good in her memory.

We hope to see lots of familiar faces Saturday night...