Friday August 21, 2015

I think I aged 10 years this week... volleyball tryouts just about did me in! Erin was a ball of stress all week, and that meant I was in the line of fire. I couldn't say or do anything right. It was like I forgot how to be a mom...

In the end, it's all good. Erin made the JV team this year, just what she was hoping for. She's had to make the transition to a new position - playing in the back row. At this level, you can't really be a setter who plays in the front row if you are 5'1"!

She will be with her group of friends, and it's setting up to be a fun season. Phew. I told her last night that now that tryouts are over, she can be nice to me again. She said "One week out of the year, I act like a normal teenager and you're all over me!" We had a good chuckle about it.

Erin also had schedule pick up this week. Sophomore year is just a couple of weeks away now. How did that happen? Erin was hanging out with a friend the other day, and there were some senior kids there, too. Really nice kids. On the way home, Erin said "I think those are the kind of kids that Shannon would be hanging around with." Erin thinks her sister would have navigated high school and still been a nice kid. I like that.

It will be a year like that for Erin. Watching that senior class and trying to imagine what life would be like if Shannon were here.

When she got home from tryouts last night, Dan was talking to her and said "You're sister would be proud of you." Erin thought about it and said "Would I even be playing volleyball if Shannon hadn't gotten sick?"

See, Erin started volleyball in the spring of 2012, just after Shannon passed away. Her friends talked her into trying it, wanting to help Erin along in her recovery. Those friends are still a part of Erin's life. That's a blessing.

So, volleyball season is underway. 10th grade is just around the corner. We carry on...