Monday October 12, 2015

I'm just back from my Monday morning workout. I had the crazy idea we should do our BLAST class not once, but twice a week. So, we go Friday afternoons and Monday mornings.

Pushing the sled with 45 lbs. on it up and down the hallways this morning just about did me in. Add to that, stairs, squats, walking planks... it's an approved form of torture...

I guess the goal is to be stronger, fitter, more able to enjoy life. I'm working on it...

We had a great weekend around here. Erin was keeping an insane schedule.

She came home from volleyball practice on Friday evening, and promptly fell asleep from 8-10pm. At 10, her debate partner showed up to prep for Saturday's debate. They stayed up until 1am, slept for 5 1/2 hours, and then were off to the debate competition from 8am-3pm. Home at 4, she slept until 6:30pm and then showered and went back to Mayo HS for the Student Government lock in Saturday night. They stayed up all night and upon returning home at 6am Sunday morning, she went right to bed until 1pm yesterday. She got up, showered, ate and went to her friends house to do homework until 9pm... the kid is hardly ever home...

I guess this is how it's suppose to be. She's doing her thing, checking in with us when she needs food, money or clean clothes.

Dan and I had a good weekend, too. After dropping Erin off at the lock in, we hit the town! OK, we went for a drink at one place, a late dinner at another and we were still home and in bed by 10:30...  but for people our age, that counts as a crazy night out!

Dan and I can both feel time moving quickly. Our jobs are busy, our kid is busy, it's hard to imagine that it will be different some day. But, we know it will. What will life look like when Erin is off at college? What will retirement look like for us?

Dan and I took advantage of 80 degree temps in October yesterday and played golf together. Is that something we can do in our golden years? I hope so. Like any good Minnesotan, we hope we can be snowbirds someday.

It's hard to imagine how life will play out. I guess that's the thing - you don't completely get to choose. Sure, you do the best you can each day to move in the direction you want to go. But, when life throws you off course, sometimes you need to make a new path.

My life will not be as I imagined. The loss of Shannon changed that forever. But, that doesn't mean it's not worth trying to get where I want to go...