First Day of School 2016

And... just like that, she's a junior...


Emily, her friend since 4th grade, gave Erin a ride to school. When you are a junior in high school, you ride with your friends to school, not your mom. I get it. She need me less and less these days... as it should be...

The first day of school pictures are always so fun to see. Social media has made us voyeurs into other people's lives. In this case, it's a good thing...

I always feel a little melancholy at this time of year. Another school year is another marker of the passing of time. I felt that way even before Shannon got sick and passed away. Now, it's even more poignant as another year she didn't get to experience...

That thing about social media? Facebook has been giving Dan and I some gut shots lately. We were posting a lot of photos 5 years ago... and the Facebook algorithm is making them pop up on our feed. Yesterday's flashback was from 5 years ago, the first day of school 2011.


                         

Shannon's last first day... a not-so-gentle reminder to enjoy what's here right now. I try to remember that each and every day...

So, the 2016-17 school year is underway. Fall is such a crazy busy time for Erin with volleyball, student government planning for homecoming, debate... oh yeah, there might be some homework in there, too... 

I'm ready to support and cajole and do my mom thing to push her along... even if she needs me less and less these days, she still needs me...