Tuesday June 25, 2013

48 hours from now, we will be heading towards London.  We still can't believe we are doing it, and while the three of us are all very excited, we have been honest with our feelings and we all admit to a little melancholy as well.

This is one of those life experiences that should include the WHOLE family.  We should have both our daughters along so we can see their faces as they see new things.  Erin should have her sister by her side as we tour London, go to Wimbledon, and take the chunnel to Paris for the weekend.  But, as we've said before, we are living in the after.  I am sure excitement will build and we will enjoy every minute of our adventure.  Shannon will be with us in spirit as we attempt to seize each day and each opportunity to expand our world.  She wanted us to go on living life, so that's what we will do.

One of the things I have had to focus on leading up to our trip is my own physical health.  Damn, am I tired of trips to the WFMC.  But, the lymphedema has reared its ugly head again, so I had to do something.  This has meant physical therapy visits twice a week to try to break up some scar tissue and cording that's keeping my lymphatic system from draining.  Yesterday, I had to take a step I didn't want to take - getting a compression sleeve and bra.  Let's just say, this is not my sexiest look ever...

Dan and Erin helped me deal with it through humor.  Upon showing them my new garments, Erin said my arm looks like a fake one.  Dan commented that the bra kind of looks like a bulletproof vest.  Then he offered to "support" me any way he can.  Those comments caused Erin to call him "the meanest husband ever".  Ah, a good laugh - even at my own expense - is sometimes the best medicine.

So, I will take my bulletproof vest and my fake arm-looking sleeve and we will cross the pond to jolly ol' England.  Erin will visit a foreign country for the first time, and we will do the biggest thing we've done while living in the after.  Cheerio...