Wednesday September 25, 2013

Sometimes the crazy in the world just takes hold, and things don't seem to make sense.  

The big news the past day has been a US Senator who spent 21 hours speaking on the Senate floor, accomplishing nothing, and wasting everyone's time.  Not to mention mass shootings in a shopping mall in Kenya and a park in Chicago.  It is unsettling when the order in the world seems to be in chaos.

On a much smaller scale, in my own little world, there's been some crazy going on, too.  For example:

Two weeks ago, I spent some time on the phone trying to get through to the IRS and find out why our Shannon O'Hara Foundation exempt organization application has not been approved.  This has been a long and frustrating process as we first submitted our forms in January and were told February 1st that we would know within 90 days.  Then the IRS "dumped" our application from the system.  Meaning, it inadvertently wasn't being processed for over 3 months.  Now, they are ready to process it, but the fee has gone up, so it requires an extra $100.  And, of course, they don't take credit cards, so a check had to be sent via snail mail.  Really?  We are just a lowly local organization trying to do some good.  Can you please just expedite this process...

Last week, my Mayo Clinic bill arrived and after all my dental work was completed and sent through insurance, I was left with over $6000 to pay.  What the what?  It seems that my insurance company agreed that the three titanium posts I had put in were a medical necessity as a result of the medical condition I had, osteomyelitis, so those were covered by insurance.  But, apparently the dental implants - the teeth - that go on these posts are not considered a medical necessity and therefore, are not covered by insurance.  So, you're telling me I need the posts, but I don't need to put anything ON the posts?  Needless to say, countless hours are being spent in correspondence between me, the WFMC, and my insurance company.  I'll keep you posted... no pun intended...

Yesterday, I spent over two hours dealing with two different banks.  It seems my bill pay from one bank never arrived at the second bank, which happens to be where our mortgage is held.  It seems the check was lost in the mail.  What?  You mean, they mail a check from one bank to another?  I just assumed that electronic bill pay meant it was done electronically...  So, I had to get my bank to stop payment on a check that I didn't even know existed and put the funds back in my account so I could go to bank #2 and physically write them a check for last month's mortgage payment.  Argh!

So, I was going to wash all this away by having a little "Jen time" in Minneapolis tomorrow.  I'm suppose to start my writing class and then maybe I'll treat myself to lunch or a little shopping.  Guess what?  I just got a call and my writing instructor has the flu.  No class tomorrow, we'll start next week.  Hmmph....

But, the truth is, none of these things happening in my world is really that bad.  Irritating, frustrating, but nothing life shattering here.  I know what that feels like.  I now know what's worth getting worked up about, and what's not.  I didn't always, but I have been changed.  This part of the change is good.  Better to laugh at the little stuff, because it's just little stuff.

Perspective that's hard earned, but much appreciated.  Now if the world would just start making sense...