Tuesday September 17, 2013

We have reached one of the busiest weeks of the season for our family:  two volleyball matches, two fundraising galas, hockey registration, and Mayo HS homecoming are all happening this week.  I know, I know - one day at a time...

Today Erin is off to Northfield for a volleyball match.  Grandma and Papa Harkins are arriving from Nevada today as well so they can be present at tomorrow's Fall Festival of Hope.  We've been looking forward to this night since we starting planning back in February, and now it's almost here.  We are excited and nervous at the same time.  I've got my dress, I've got my speech, I guess I'm ready...

While we are in Northfield and Minneapolis the next two nights, our faithful supporters will be at Graham Arena selling Shannon O'Hara Foundation goodies and taking donations during Rochester Youth Hockey registration.  We are grateful for the continued support of our hockey friends.  Another hockey season is upon us, and we wouldn't be able to do all this fundraising without their help.

Speaking of fundraising - I wanted to put out one more reminder that t-shirt orders for the new "I walk for Shannon" shirts are due by this Friday, November 20th.  To see the shirt or to place an order, visit www.shannonoharafoundation.org.

I received a note last night from a friend who also lost a child.  Different circumstances, but the same gut wrenching feelings.  Grief is not a linear process.  Some days are better than others, and some days it hits you like a ton of bricks.  This week might be a ton-of-bricks kind of week for us - lots of Shannon images, stories, and memories will be a part of this week's activities.

But, this is what we have chosen to do.  This is how we honor her wish to have her life matter.  Funding brain tumor research and funding scholarships takes money.  So we fundraise.  And, despite the incredible sadness we feel when we see those images of Shannon, what we are doing does feel right.

I better go practice my speech again...