Monday November 18, 2013

I'm sitting at Starbucks in the shadows of the WFMC this morning.  It's been a familiar stomping ground for us these past three years.

Today it's Dan's turn to take advantage of the services offered at the Mayo Clinic.  It's a routine procedure that they recommend once you turn 50... I'll leave it at that...

So, I sit and wait and think about the many times we have been here in this space, seeking medical help, waiting for answers.  It has been a rough few years on that front, and my next mammogram is looming next week.

I'd be lying if I didn't say it causes me a little angst.  We no longer have the luxury of assuming that everything will be all right.  But, we are also not fatalists, and we still hope for the best in each situation.  We just have a little scar tissue to fight through.

Medical procedures aside, we are having a good stretch of days.  Dan, Erin and I are really settling in to a rhythm as a family of three.  There is lots of good in our lives.  We are fleshing out our holiday plans, and mustering up some positivity and gratitude to carry us through.

I spent much of the weekend trying to design a our Christmas card.  I love giving and receiving these yearly updates on family and friends.  It's been two years now since I've sent out a card.  I've decided it's time to get back on that horse.

So, it's taken me two days to come to terms with what our card should look like this year.  How to share the family that is, the family that was, and the family that will always be in a few pictures and words.  I did my best...

We've got a busy week ahead - volleyball banquet, class for me, the St. Jude walk, and then SOF sales at the HS hockey games and at St. John's.  All good stuff.  All things that the three of us want to do - together.

And so it goes... we are making progress, we are moving forward, we are still remembering.  That's what we hope for, each and every day.