Wednesday December 4, 2013

First off I need to wish a Happy Birthday to my little brother, Eric.  Truth is, he's getting old just like the rest of us...

It is raining/sleeting here today.  I am grateful for my fireplace, Pandora radio, and good coffee.  Those are my writing tools this afternoon.

Two years ago today, Shannon skated for the last time.  December 4, 2011, at Graham Arena.  Her Rebels scrimmaged the boys that night.  Shannon's balance was failing her, and she fell hard and hurt her wrist.  It was bugging her the next day when we headed to St. Jude.  Needless to say, with the way things went in Memphis, the wrist injury was soon forgotten. But, I remember how adamant she was that night about continuing to play in the scrimmage, even though she was hurting.  Such a stubborn little girl.  That part makes me smile...

I wonder if I will always remember those little details?  Those little stories about Shannon and who she was.  I hope so.  I don't want to forget anything.  When I'm 90, I want to be able to tell the other people in the nursing home about my little girl...

Last night I was back at Graham Arena.  This year's Rebels had sent me a request for some new Shannon stickers.  Girls that had grown out of their old helmets or girls new to traveling hockey needed one to update their equipment.

I went and poked my head in their locker room as they were getting ready for a scrimmage.  Guess what?  They were scrimmaging the boys last night.  Spooky.  Anyway, I introduced myself as "Shannon's mom" and they all cheered.  So spontaneous, and so sweet.  Everybody got a green sticker with the #9 winged logo for their headgear, and then they asked me if I would stay and watch them play.

I stayed a while and visited with some of the parents.  It's the same as it ever was.  The kids love it.  The parents love it.  I left there feeling good about connecting with those girls and their families, but also realizing once again how much I miss being around the rink.

We will be at the rink quite a bit over the next couple months, starting with our first Shannon Cup weekend, Dec. 13-15.  The 12A tournament will be taking place that weekend, there will be new Shannon Cup t-shirts for sale along with our other goodies.  We will be there, watching those kids compete.  It's the best we can do now.  It's how we honor Shannon.

So, this is an anniversary of sorts.  Her last skate.  Dammit.  I'm doing my best today to remember #9 skating hard, and loving every minute of it.  That's how it was, right until the end...