Wednesday August 27, 2014

The days of summer are slipping away now and the air temperature in the mornings and evenings certainly signals that fall is upon us.  One more holiday weekend and then it's back to the routine, especially for Miss E.  High school... wow...

We had fun this past weekend as Erin had a friend stay with us while her parents were out of town.  I have to admit, I didn't even realize that I missed hearing the banter that happens when there are two kids in the house.  It caught me off guard a bit.  How could I have forgotten what that was like...

It is a strange feeling - we all want time to pass and our kids to progress and everyone to move forward.  That is the normal pattern of life and what we all strive for.  And yet, as time passes, Shannon gets left further behind.  Maybe I am forgetting little things as the days go by.  How could I not?  I don't like that feeling.  As I listened to Erin and her friend chat, I tried to remember the sound of Shannon's voice...

Maybe it's the fall that's making me sentimental.  It's always a time of year where you take stock of where our kids are at, and send them on their way to the next level.  Easier said than done for me...

Maybe it's all the foundation work I've been doing lately that's making me think about Shannon.  We had our semi-annual board meeting this past weekend.  Exciting times now for the Shannon O'Hara Foundation.  Receiving our tax exempt status opens new doors for us on the fundraising front.  If you are interested, check out our new "Donate" button on the SOF website.  We have also added a store with our Shannon merchandise for those of you who don't have the opportunity to buy from us in person at our events.

Speaking of events, there are a lot of dates in the coming months where the SOF will be present.  HS Girls hockey on December 13th, Shannon Cup events in January, scholarship night in February.  We also have a new opportunity via the Rochester Amateur Sports Commission this year.  Proceeds from their annual banquet (Jan. 26) will go to the SOF.  So, our calendar is filling up with opportunities to fundraise and spread the word.   That feels good.

First up on the schedule is the annual Brains Together For a Cure walk on October 4th at the RCTC Fieldhouse.  This was the first event we ever took part in on our journey with Shannon, so we really hope we can have a group walk in honor of Shannon again this year.  Our plan, as always, is to wear our Shannon shirts and support the cause.  All money raised stays local to fund brain tumor research at the Mayo Clinic.  You can register here:  www.brainstogetherforacure.org.

So, time marches on.  Exciting things are happening.  The calendar of activities begins again.  Fundraising continues.

And as always, we feel the pang of something missing.  That's good.  I don't want to forget.  Sweet Shannon.