Saturday August 30, 2014

Erin is wasting no time getting her feet wet as a high schooler... literally...

Last night after volleyball practice she road tripped with friends (including a parent or two) over to Austin for the first football game of the season.  The weather did not cooperate - torrential downpours had them soaked before the game even began.

Erin didn't care a lick.

As Dan and I sat at home thinking how miserable she must be, Erin was loving every minute of being a part of the student section.  She came home saying "that was so much fun."  They wore garbage bags and cheered on their team.  Erin must have watched the game because she was able to recount for me who scored Mayo's touchdowns.  (Mayo notched their first win, by the way.)

So, what sounded miserable to us was a blast for her.  Ah, to be young again...

Erin is still sleeping this morning, taking advantage of her last few days of freedom. We will enjoy this final weekend of summer - a cookout, some golf, volleyball practice and Dan's fantasy football draft.

Then, come Tuesday, Erin will really be a high schooler.  It's such a significant life marker.  I am happy and sad at the same time.  This is our one chance for all these experiences.  Damn.

But, this is not about me, it's about Erin, so I will do my best to enjoy every moment.  I have no doubt Miss E will show me how it's done.

Happy Labor Day Weekend to all.