Friday January 4, 2013

Yesterday was a day of information overload as Dan and I sat through three appointments that helped us understand DCIS, what it means now, and what it means going forward.  We also gathered information about all possible treatment options, and made our choices that will chart the course ahead.

While the expected outcome is completely different, there were some eery similarities to those early days after diagnosis with Shannon, when we bounced from appointment to appointment, our heads spinning with thoughts and feelings and information.

After weighing my options, the course of treatment I've chosen going forward is to follow the lumpectomy I've already had with radiation therapy for 6 weeks.  It's a numbers game, and I want to do what I can to reduce the risk of recurrence.  I'm young - by breast cancer standards - so radiation therapy (RT) is a way of choosing to be proactive with prevention.  To me, that outweighs the risks of RT.  So that's that.  When I will start treatment is yet to be pinpointed exactly, but hopefully by the end of January.

I feel comfortable with the choice I've made, and I will fire up to endure the daily trips to Desk R at Mayo Clinic.  I warned Dr. Laack and the staff there that they shouldn't expect me to be as cheery as Shannon was on a daily basis!

It was good to see Dr. Laack and we talked at length about Shannon.  We actually talked with Dr. Pruthi about Shannon as well.  Both these women have sons who play tennis and hockey and it's one of the things we love about this town - you often find yourself in a giant venn diagram of overlapping circles.  Familiarity can bring compassion and I feel I am in very good hands.  And both these women kick ass at their jobs, too.  That doesn't hurt my comfort level, either.

So, that's the short version of the four hours we spent at the WFMC yesterday.

Now, we've reached another Friday - the 52nd Friday in life without Shannon.  We will stay busy tomorrow with a basketball tournament all day and a Vikings/Packers playoff game to watch at night.

Sunday, on the 6th of January, we will attend mass at St. John's at 9:30 am to mark the anniversary date.  We've almost done it, navigating the first year.  Honoring and remembering her, living in the moment as best we can, and peeking ahead when it feels right.