Thursday February 28, 2013

I used to want to believe that everything happens for a reason.  I wanted to believe that cause and effect was at work.  Meaning, if I was a good person, then good things would happen.  I don't feel that way anymore.

What I do think now is that when things happen, be they good or bad, you have a chance to make use of them.  To give them meaning.  To find a purpose.

If something good happens you can try and share it with others - spread the love, spread the wealth, spread your time.  Whatever it is that you have in abundance, you can share it with others, and that gives life meaning.

Now, when something bad happens, you have a chance to make use of that, too.  Making this choice is much harder. But finding meaning, finding purpose after a tragedy can help you become a better version of yourself.  I believe that with all my heart.  It is happening to me right now.

I am feeling introspective as I reach the end of my six weeks of radiation.  The 30th and last treatment is tomorrow.  While I dreaded the thought of going there each day, we have again found ourselves connecting with people and sharing what we have to give.  I left today feeling really good about the interactions with everyone at Desk R.

So tomorrow (Friday), I will finish this part of my treatment and I will ring the bell.  Hell, yeah...