Monday May 19, 2014

Gratitude is not something I thought about much before our journey with Shannon.  Now, it's an everyday theme.  Another one of Shannon's gifts, I suppose.

It's not that I was ungrateful before.  I was a good person, I thanked people when necessary.  But, I didn't take the time to appreciate the moments - little moments, big moments, any moment that meant something.

Now, I am not claiming to be exemplary or above the fray.  I still get pissed when someone is driving too slow or writing out a check in front of me at the grocery store.  I am human, and sometimes I forget. And, there are things out of our control like rained out golf meets or a tooth that has abscessed. (Yes, this is a current issue at our house.  Dan this time, not me.)  These kinds of challenges can certainly harsh my mellow from time to time.

But, as we played golf yesterday with Erin and her friend Andrea, we laughed and smiled and I can honestly say it was a beautiful day.  It was not the foursome we envisioned in our lives, but it was still wonderful.  Our trio (plus one) was truly happy.  And, I realized, I felt lucky to feel so happy.

Our perspective has changed.  We are learning to live with that.  Learning to live with the knowledge that things don't always work out.  Learning to accept that, and cherish the moments when things do - little moments, big moments, and moment where we feel at peace in our little corner of the world.

"When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." - G.K. Chesterton