Monday September 21, 2015

I have been enjoying a weekend away, visiting my friend, Cynthia, in Atlanta. I am here because tonight she is receiving an endowed chair so she can continue her work in developmental therapeutics at Emory.

Four years ago, I didn't know anything about developmental therapeutics or cancer research, really. Four years ago, I didn't know Cynthia, either. Shannon has been a part of me learning more about the world, making new friends, and understanding medicine and research in a more concrete way. It's an honor to be here to celebrate Cynthia's work in pediatric cancer research.

Emory was the site of the national tennis tournament my senior year in college. That means that I played on these tennis courts almost 25 years ago... Yikes!


It was fun to walk around the campus this morning and see all the students on their way to and from class. I sat in the Starbucks on campus and watched them highlighting textbooks, doing research on their laptops and talking about life.

That tennis tournament at Emory back in 1991? It was the spring of my senior year and I had a twenty page journalism ethics paper to write. No laptops back then, so I hauled my word processor  (this was a step up from the typewriter) and all my source material on the plane with me!  Ahh, the good ol' days...

It's fun to remember back to college. It's fun to think about Erin being there some day. It's hard to realize Shannon should be touring these campuses right now and thinking about her future.

It's homecoming week at Mayo HS. The seniors want to honor Shannon.  Look for those Shannon logos along the parade route...

Life is a journey. Some days are better than others. Today is a good day.