Sunday September 27, 2015

Sunday morning with a strong cup of coffee and I'm ready to share my thoughts... it was homecoming weekend here at Mayo HS. So many thoughts and feelings and images to share...

Friday I chose to attend the homecoming pepfest where the king and queen would be crowned. I have to hand it to the MHS student body - the school spirit is amazing. From the band to the orchestra to the danceline to the drumline...

And yet, with all that excitement and positive energy, I found myself in tears. Those seniors enjoying one last homecoming hurrah... I couldn't help myself... The student government had discretely incorporated the winged #9 logo into the backdrop for coronation. They remember...

Post coronation, it was time for the parade. Dan and I sat in our usual spot with our dear friends around to support and comfort us. The tears continued to flow as the Shannon logo showed up again on the hockey float and the golf carts carrying the homecoming royalty. But the football team took the cake...

All the while as I struggled with my emotions, Erin was enjoying the festivities. As it should be. Face paint, tie-dye, school spirit. This is her time, too, and I never want to take away from that.


By the time the football game rolled around, I was able to relax and enjoy a beautiful night in the company of good friends. Dan and I found ourselves surrounded by those who remember Shannon and help us to cope. We are grateful for that. As the almost full moon rose over the game, I felt more at peace.

Yesterday was all about homecoming dance preparation. Erin and the rest of the student government spent the morning setting up the gym for the dance. Then, there was time for a few quick errands - finding just the right shade of red lipstick to go with the shoes, and then picking up the boutonniere.

Prep for the dance included one friend coming by to do Erin's hair, and another coming by for nails and make up. Thank goodness for girlfriends as Erin's mom is ill equipped to help with such things! I know I'm biased, but Erin looked beautiful.


Pictures, dinner, dance, and an after dance bonfire completed the festivities for Erin. She was happy and that makes me happy. She is growing up, handling her sister's memory and yet forging her own way. I'm so grateful for that. It is a strange existence for Erin, especially as Shannon's class is front and center now as seniors. 

The night didn't finish without one more Shannon memory. Four years ago, Shannon was in the beginning of her 8th grade year and we were just weeks away from her tumor starting to grow again. But for that brief time, things were good. Shannon and her friends were psyched for homecoming. Shannon had her one turn at enjoying the face painting, bead wearing, school spirit. Her friends that supported her through her cancer journey were there enjoying it, too. It was a good day. Four years ago, Shannon was on top. It's one of my favorite pictures...


My, how those girls have grown. Young ladies now, and we are grateful to still have them in our lives. While it's sometimes painful, we feel connected to Shannon when we are with them. And they remember. Dan and I got a text last night saying, "We are missing the top of our pyramid." She was with them in spirit...