Sunday November 15, 2015

They say all good things must come to an end... and Erin's volleyball season ended this weekend.  The results at the state tournament weren't what the Spartans had hoped for, but in time, they will remember the experience with fondness.


Dan and I enjoyed every minute of it. Hard to believe that Erin only has two more volleyball seasons left. Where is the time going? Second quarter of her sophomore year starts tomorrow. I need to remember to enjoy every minute of it, before it's over.

Dan and I enjoyed our trip to the state tournament as well. We visited with family and friends, and I barely escaped a mother-in-law disaster...

After the game on Thursday, Dan and I paid a visit to Ed and Tess. There were a few items Tess needed at the store, so we all jumped in the car to head to Target. Dan and Ed decided to stay in the car, and Tess and I ran into the store. I had Tess holding my arm as we walked down the main isle, but she let go of my arm to blow her nose. At that exact moment, a woman, 9 months pregnant with a cart full of stuff, ran into Tess and knocked her to the ground. Oh my lord...

A bit of chaos ensued as the first Target employee to get to us was a young woman who admitted, "I don't know what to do, it's my first day!" The store manager did come, and Tess, believe it or not, only needed some band aids for her forearm and hand that she scraped on the shelf as she went down. No broken bones. I told her, at age 89.75, if you can crash to the ground on a tile floor at Target and not break a hip, you're doing great!

Tess was sweet and once she was over the shock of it, she said to me, "I'm glad you brought me in the store and not Danny!" We all have our strengths... It's a funny story now, but it could have been so much worse...

Now that volleyball has ended, Erin's schedule will lighten up for the next couple of months. She's ready for a little down time, I think. A little more time for homework and friends, a couple of holiday breaks, and finally, drivers training! Yes, Erin gets to do the classroom portion of Driver's Ed at the end of the year.  

I know, don't get too far ahead of myself. Start with this week, which involves some Shannon O'Hara Foundation work. Three more hockey teams to visit and hand out scholarship applications, and getting our capital fundraising campaign ready to mail. The winter SOF work has begun. 

It's all worth it when we see the kids playing in Shannon's memory and we see our scholarship winners succeeding as students, and sometimes athletes, at the next level. The Rochester Youth Hockey Association went out of their way to honor Shannon this year. The new white RYHA jerseys incorporated the SOF logo in the design. That means that all traveling hockey players - boys and girls - will carry that memory of Shannon out on the ice with them this year.  We think that's pretty dang cool...