Christmas Eve

Let's just start with the good news - I had my yearly mammogram and bone density test yesterday and everything looks good. I'm now 3 years post DCIS diagnosis. I've got another year and a half on the Tamoxifen, but taking a pill once a day to lower the risk of recurrence isn't too hard. Seeing my friend Kula start chemo this week reminds me how lucky I am. I had the best kind of breast cancer :)

Speaking of Kula, she tolerated her first round of chemo with no problems. She is a determined lady and I just have to believe that her feisty Greek blood will serve her well in her fight.

There's no doubt that Kula's diagnosis has muted things around here over the past few days. And, celebrating another Christmas without Shannon is no small task. It doesn't get easier with time. 

But today is the beginning of the holiday week, and we're going to muster up some good cheer and enjoy friends and family that we'll see over the next few days. There is so much comfort in being loved.

I read this quote from Alfred D'Souza this week:

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, or a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

The point is, don't wait for just the right moment to be happy. Happiness is a journey, not a destination. It sounds so trite, but it's true. Life is hard, but that doesn't mean you can't find joy and meaning along the way.

Merry Christmas, everyone.