Tuesday December 22, 2015

As I sit to write this morning, a friend of mine is starting her chemo treatment today... yet another reminder that life is so fragile...

I hate it when things don't make sense. My friend Kula is in perfect shape, doesn't eat or drink too much, exercises every day. She got her mammogram every year, but this year she insisted on getting an MBI (molecular breast imaging) because of her dense breasts.

Invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 3... chemo for the next 5 months, then a double mastectomy.

I found myself being so mad this weekend. Life just ain't fair...

Kula has been a rock for me for the past five years, from Shannon's diagnosis through today. It's my turn now.

This has shaken Erin's world, too. She thinks of Kula as her second mom. They travel together, they chat about life. Erin is sad and scared and having to buck up for another cancer journey. Too many journeys by age 14 if you ask me.

This is the stuff of life, though. The longer you live, the more you love, the more vulnerable you are. I guess in time like these, I just need to remember the love is worth the pain.

So, hold a good thought for my friend today. She deserves it.

"As we advance in life it becomes more difficult, but in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed." - Vincent Van Gogh