Monday April 25, 2016


Well, it happened...  I knew this day might come...

Erin beat me on the golf course. Not only that, she beat Dan, too!  Her 82 was the low round of the family. She's a better golfer than I ever was in high school. Wait, better than I ever was at any point in my life...

It's fun to see her hard work paying off. Now, we all know as golfers that every day is a new day and anything can happen... she's not going to shoot career bests over and over. But, she's enjoying it and we're enjoying watching her progress. Two more conference meets this week. Hopefully the spring weather will cooperate.

It wasn't all golf this weekend... Erin mixed in some volleyball, too. Her 17s team had a one day tournament on Sunday, playing 4 matches. Erin's making progress there, too.

So, we follow our kid around and watch her do her thing... I wonder sometimes if Erin feels extra pressure now that she's all we've got. I am sure she does, but she grins and bears it. We want to enjoy her and be there with her without adding pressure. Is that possible??

It's a strange family dynamic that we have. Two parents to one child is not always a healthy ratio. Erin gets pissed when her dad tells her something, and, five minutes later, I tell her the same thing. We're working on our fifth year as a family of three, and we still don't have it nailed...

But, we're all doing the best we can...

Luckily, Dan and I are both engaged in our jobs so that keeps us from hovering over Erin too much.  It was planes, trains and automobiles for Dan last week. Madison, WI on Tuesday, drove to Yankton, SD for Wednesday, then to MSP to fly to Fargo for Thursday. He's headed out again today for Milwaukee.

I have one more week at my "old job" and then next week I start picking up new duties before my official start date of May 9th.

It's been funny telling people that I'm going to work full time. Some people say "congratulations" but others know that there's a bit of trepidation. I even had one tennis friend who flat out said "Oh no!" That made me smile.

I think women understand. I want to work, I like my job, but I want all the other stuff, too. Time with Dan and Erin, time with my friends, time for tennis, time to coach golf... can you have it all? I'm going to give it my best shot.

So, this train just rolls onward... last week of April, seven weeks left in the school year... I think I can, I think I can...