Friday April 1, 2016

"There is nothing permanent except change." - Heraclitus

Changes, big and small, are not my strong suit. Case(s) in point:

Erin made fun of me just this week. My curling iron broke after 15 years of use, and I went out and bought the exact same one...

I went to park in my favorite secret spots in the Mayo Parking ramp, only to find that those spots are now used for valet parking. Yes, the World Famous Mayo Clinic now offers valet parking...

Even my job that I love is morphing and changing...

Why am I so resistant to change? You'd think by my mid (to late) 40's I'd understand that things always change. And yet, it throws me for a loop every time.

Maybe there's a little piece of me that doesn't want things to be different. Can't we just go back to the good 'ol days? I think my resistance to change is magnified by my desire to keep one foot in the past. One foot in the world where Shannon was a part of our lives.

Of course, Shannon is still a part of our lives, but in such a different way.

April has begun and that brings us to Spring Break, then Erin's birthday and, of course, diagnosis day. It is looming and on my mind, for sure. Five years, yet I remember that day so vividly...

I have been so consumed with work that I am really looking forward to our vacation. The three of us head out this weekend to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary, along with my brother and his family. It will be the first cruise experience for me and Dan, but Erin tells us it's fabulous.

We will take our Shannon shirts with us on the cruise, and we will remember her as we enjoy some family time in the sun. A new experience, a change, maybe even forward progress on this journey called life...

"Come what may, time and the hour run through the roughest day." - William Shakespeare