April 27, 2011

Good Morning from the home of the Indy 500, the Indianapolis Colts, the Butler Bulldogs and the world-famous Indy O'Hara's.

I need to take a second this morning to share about my employment situation.  What kind of a company would send a sad dad on the road - away from his wounded and healing family?  I just want to make it clear that my mini-trip to Indianapolis was my call alone.  In fact, my manager and the big boss have told me to do what I have to do for my girls.  If that means working from home, not working at all or traveling as needed, whatever. 

Add the good folks at EFS Transportation Services, Memphis TN to the growing list of amazing blessings in the lives of Erin, Shannon, Jen and Dan O'Hara.

About 6 weeks ago I was working in Indiana and added a couple new opportunities to my pipeline that required at least one more face-to-face meeting.  These are the kinds of opportunities that will keep a sales guy's direct deposit hitting on the 15th and 30th.  So, that's why I am out here this week.  The airfare was booked and the appointments set weeks in advance. 

That's how it works for sales guy; you make a connection and you pursue the connection until it dries up.  If I've learned anything over my 12 years in sales its that relationships sell deals.  Relationships are really hard to establish and grow if you are in the fetal position in the corner of your home office. So I'm out here selling.  Just a couple really meaty appointments.  My cold calls and prospecting can wait.  I'm pretty sure I will not be out selling every week while Shannon's is in treatment...or healing.

Van Morrison, Golden Autumn Day...and I'm pretending that it's paradise...on a golden autumn day...

So I will be back on the ground in Rochester today by about 3p central - plenty of time for the Fireballs practice!  The girls barely missed me - I saw in the forecast that Shannon's golf meet was going to be rained out again because spring is MIA - so I made my trip.  But that's about to change.  I sense it.  Jet stream a changin'.  It's comin' people!

So, I just wanted to tell you about my work situation which is really great.  I'm out here for a quick trip because that is what I do and that is what my family needs me to do.  Plus, I think I might have actually sold something this week!

I checked in to my hotel last night and took a visit from several of my Indy O cousins and I was able to be with family.  That was great.  Of course, they are just crushed by our news - we are big family people us O'Hara's.  Big giant hearts - hell we cry at a good Alpo commercial.  The Indy O's are a family of 11 kids...I am the baby of 9...you get the picture.  Our other O'Hara cousins are part of family of 13 kids. Family reunion's are held at major venues.

Speaking of, my Mom and Dad return to Minneapolis from Ireland tonight.  They will hear about Shannon's tumor for the first time tonight at around 8pm.  Pray for Ed and Tess to have strength.