Just a quick update on Shannon. She did vomit again overnight and that prompted us to follow up with neurology and oncology today. After speaking with doctors and nurse practitioners this morning, there are a few possible explanations:

One, it could be just a flu type bug, which is obviously hard to prove.

Two, it still could be a reaction to the Bactrim, which is designed to be a long-acting drug. Shannon was relieved to hear from hematology today that she will not have to take her scheduled doses this coming weekend. We will wait until our hematology appointment next Tuesday and then make a new plan for the necessary antibiotics to accompany the maintenance chemo.

A third potential explanation was offered today by Dr. Laack. If the tumor is "dying" (her word, not mine) then the tissue in the brain around the tumor could be swelling in response to the tumor change. Swelling could cause nausea, vomiting, headaches. This would be discovered at the Friday MRI and steroids would then be ordered again to help relieve this, just as they were at the beginning of Shannon's treatment.

The response of our medical team to our questions was very prompt and has helped ease our minds a bit. We're feeling grateful for the Mayo Clinic today. The doctors have said they would be surprised if these symptoms were from tumor growth. It should be too soon for that. Still, as any parent knows, it's hard to see your child sick and weak. Even harder knowing what we know.

So, for now, Shannon needs to lay low. Her day has consisted of TV, movies, naps, Tylenol, Zofran, saltines, and her new favorite Gatorade flavor, Rain Lime. Maybe the Twins will even give us something worth watching tonight... it doesn't hurt to dream, right?