Saturday October 20, 2012

Home sweet home.  We have returned safely to Rochester and it feels very quiet and spacious here!  Three days in NYC was fantastic, but it's good to be back to our house and our dog and our yard.

Yesterday was a rainy day in New York, but Erin helped us kill of the morning by sleeping in until 11am.  While she snoozed, Dan and I enjoyed our coffee and surfed the web as we peered through the windows at the people hustling up and down the streets.  We are fascinated by people who live and work in that city.  It's a super place to visit, but I don't know if I could live that way.  I like being able to hop in my minivan and run to Target when we are out of milk or toilet paper.  Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  Maybe in my next life.

Once Erin was awake, we spent our afternoon taking the subway to the Upper East Side and checking out the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  It is a cavernous building and it would take many, many visits to see the whole thing.  We chose a few areas - Ancient Egypt, 19th Century European painting and sculpture, and even some modern and contemporary art.  It was a great way to spend a rainy day, and we all learned a thing or two from listening to the audio guide at various exhibits.

Pondering Pollock

Our final NYC adventure last night provided us with a "full circle moment" as my aunt and uncle Brian and Julie joined us in the city for dinner and a Broadway show, just as they had done 18 months ago when we visited NYC with Shannon and Erin on spring break.  We had a great time with them in March of 2011 just two weeks before Shannon's diagnosis.  We had a great time with them again last night, and that felt good.

We invited cousin Grace along as well so that Erin would have someone to converse with who was not middle age!  So the six of us went to see "Nice Work If You Can Get It" -  a comedy set in the prohibition era that features a couple dozen toe-tapping Gershwin tunes.  We all laughed and enjoyed stars Matthew Broderick and Kelli O'Hara playing their campy characters perfectly.

Dan and Erin and I talked about feeling that, in the grand scheme of things, we are doing all right.  I was relieved to find that a Broadway musical can still make me smile and laugh and want to sing and dance.  Erin, too.  We still laugh at Dan when he's being a dork on the subway. They still poke fun at me being a control freak when I over-coach Erin on what she should wear. We still call Erin out when she gives me or Dan that awful, mean look that only a teenager is capable of giving.  We still find ourselves laughing often.

A part of me, of us, can't believe it, really.  How can we be going off to NYC and having fun and just going on with life?  It seems almost crazy.  Yes, the dynamic is different and we so miss having Shannon with us.  We talked often on this trip about our adventures here last time and Shannon's name was spoken many times. We like that.  She's still with us in so many ways.

As we got off the plane this afternoon, Erin thanked us for a great trip.  Dan and I told her she is so very welcome.  We are feeling grateful today that the three of us have each other.  We three still enjoy an adventure and our lives must go on.  Shannon would want it that way, I just know it...

On Broadway