Sunday October 14, 2012

I'm drawing inspiration these last few days from gospel music.  Gospel music from none other than The Boss.  Bruce's Wrecking Ball record includes a song called Rocky Ground that Springsteen tells NY Times John Pareles "The verses are the blues, the chorus is gospel".

Jen and I will see Bruce next month in St. Paul, so I have been spending more time listening through Wrecking Ball.  Like most Springsteen recordings, the more times you hear the more you like it.  And learn from it.

Rocky Ground features sampling from gospel singer Michelle Moore who soulfully recites;

You use your muscle and your mind and you pray your best 
That your best is good enough, the Lord will do the rest 
You raise your children and you teach 'them to walk straight and sure
You pray that hard times, hard times, come no more 
You try to sleep, you toss and turn, the bottom's dropping out 
Where you once had faith now there's only doubt 
You pray for guidance, only silence now meets your prayers 
The morning breaks, you awake but no one's there

I feel like this last week has been filled with challenging news and hard times, hard times.  A colleague lost his brother to a motorcycle crash; a father of three young kids.  Our community lost a warrior in 14-year old Will Canan to brain cancer.  I just can't get the images of these beautiful kids out of my mind.

I think it remains a critical that I stay in the present and remain grateful for what is right here in front of me.  Today is all we have.

We've been traveling over rocky ground, rocky ground 
We've been traveling over rocky ground, rocky ground