Sunday March 10, 2013

The power of this blog still amazes me.  It has been an incredible tool for us in so many ways.  It has become a comfortable friend.

We are coming up on two years of writing here, and I am trying to figure out what the end game should be.  I am hoping the publication of the book and where that takes us might provide some clarity, but I don't know that for sure.  So, we continue to blog.  Here's what I do know:  

Through writing this blog, we found friends and supporters we didn't know we had.

We made new connections.

I found a passion I didn't know was missing - I love to write.

This weekend the blog brought me an answer to a question that's been bugging me, and brought me together with an old friend...

First, one of Shannon's friends was kind enough to send me a note because she remembers Shannon's English project, the one I couldn't recollect.  Shannon dressed up as Amelia Earhart - complete with a bomber jacket borrowed from a friend who was several sizes bigger than Shannon.  Now I remember.

The second blog connection was out of left field.  I ran into a high school friend on Friday night and she looked me in the eye and holding back tears she said, "Your blog is the reason I moved back to Minnesota."  Wow.

See, this friend has been living away from her extended family and working so much she was missing out on her own kid's childhoods.  She said reading our story helped her realize she wanted to be more present in the lives of those she loves.  So, she gave up the "big" job and things worked out to continue doing what she loves, but on a lesser scale and closer to her family and friends here in Minnesota.  Now, she has more time with her kids and she's so grateful for that.  Strange how you can get what you want once you know what it is.

It was so fun to re-connect with her and to feel an instant bond because of this blog, because of Shannon.  Making connections, sharing stories, maybe helping others in some small way is very rewarding.  Stories like that make me want to keep writing this blog forever, but there will be an end.  Nothing lasts forever.  I'm just not ready to stop quite yet...

That's what I'm thinking about as I drink my coffee on this Sunday morning.  It's another wintry day here in Southern Minnesota.  Snowflakes are falling, Erin is still sleeping, and Dan is fighting a nasty head cold.  Spring, please come soon...