20 Years


Today is our wedding anniversary.  20 years ago, this engagement photo announced that Dan and I would join together and be a family.  I wish I could tell those young lovebirds a thing or two about what lay ahead for them.

I could tell them that marriage will be hard.  Nobody knows this when they begin.  I could tell them that they will have to watch each other struggle, and wait for a chance to help.  I could tell them that sometimes they will drive each other crazy.  I could tell them that some lessons are learned the hard way, but that the struggles are worth it.  I could tell them that the birth of children will change them forever.  I could warn them...

But, maybe ignorance is bliss.  Maybe you learn what you're suppose to know when you're suppose to know it.  Those two young people didn't know much, so they jumped right in.  Thank goodness.

The trick is to continue to grow together and not grow apart.  Some of life you just have to figure out along the way.  We're older and wiser now, with a lot more scar tissue.  But, we still love being together.  We laugh.  We laugh a lot.  Even after what we've been through, we manage to find happiness and joy along the way.  We have a special tenderness between us now.  We've earned it.

Happy 20th Anniversary, Dan.  The journey continues...