Wednesday September 17, 2014

Let's just say, I am happy I have a new car because I am spending a lot of time in it!  The high schooler's schedule is keeping us on the run.

Erin has school, volleyball, debate team and confirmation.  We haven't managed to fit piano into the schedule yet, but she wants to do that, too.

That list doesn't include the social agenda:  volunteering, surprise birthday parties, and this week - homecoming.  Friday will bring the homecoming parade and football game, and Saturday, after an all day volleyball tournament, the homecoming dance.  Yes, Erin is going.  With a boy.  As friends.  That's all I'm allowed to say here in the blog...

Seriously, though,  Erin has a great group of friends who are all going to their first high school dance.  Some have dates, some don't.  Erin is playing social director and trying to make sure everyone is included.  It's pretty cool to see.  (As an aside, I never went to homecoming.  In those days, you only went if you had a date.  Nobody asked me.  I was a shy nerd back then.  I think I've almost grown out of it...)

I can't help but wonder if Erin can keep up this pace.  It seems unsustainable to me and Dan.  As she reminds us often, though, we are old.  We had a funny exchange with her in the car last week.  On that particular day, I had taken her to school, then returned to Mayo HS at the end of volleyball practice to bring her dinner so she could stay at school and do homework before debate team practice.  At the end of debate, Dan and I picked her up and took her to a friends surprise 16th birthday party.  She returned home at 10 pm - on a school night! - driven by a friend who has a driver's license.

Dan said to E, "I'm exhausted just trying to keep up with you, I can't imagine you it feels to be you."  Erin looked at us, and with a big smile said, "It's exhilarating!"

Oh, to be young and have the world by the tail...

So, the crazy schedule continues - last night it was a volleyball home game with a big win over rival Owatonna.  Tonight it's volleyball practice and then confirmation.  Tomorrow Erin is off to Austin after school for another volleyball game.   Friday, the homecoming weekend will commence.

I just got to thinking, I haven't mentioned homework once in this post.  I assume Miss E is managing to keep up with her schoolwork, too.  I should probably check with her on that...