Sunday September 14, 2014

I am writing this morning from sunny So Cal.  I could post a bunch of photos - me at Newport Beach, me at Laguna Beach  - but that seems cruel when there are frost warnings at home.  Dan and Erin didn't get to come on this trip, so I don't want to rub it in...

I came to Irvine for my cousin Alli's wedding.  It has been a wonderful chance for me to see my aunts and uncles.  My moms brothers - all 8 of them - were a big part of my life growing up.  Time passes and some things are forgotten, but time together leads to the telling of stories and that helps jog the memory.

My mom and I are both here solo, so it's been a nice little mother/daughter getaway as well.  It's not often that we get time together without others and their needs as a part of the program. (Women, you know what I'm talking about!)  So, we've been soaking up sun and time together.

My uncle J.J., the father of the bride, gave a beautiful toast last night.  He talked about how children change our view of what matters in this world.  He talked about dreams coming true, and, how kids are proof of that.  He was beaming with pride, walking his daughter down the aisle.

Weddings, family, dreams... 

This is just another one of those experiences that won't ever be the same.  Life events are more poignant now.  No way around that fact.  But, I'm still learning how to be in my new life.  It feels like forever without Shannon, and yet, I'm still discovering this new version of myself.  Every life event is a chance to grow, to find my equilibrium.  It feels good to acknowledge that I'm going to miss Shannon forever, and some times it will be brought into sharp relief.  Hanging with my extended family makes me think about my own family.  But, it also feels good to know that I can enjoy these things, too.  The loss of Shannon hasn't destroyed me.  I'm still standing.

But, don't get me wrong, this has been a wonderful weekend for me.  Lots of laughs and lots of connections with people I love.  Weddings, family and dreams are all good things.  And, a couple of trips to the beach didn't hurt either...