Wednesday October 12, 2011

It's on like Donkey Kong!  Hockey season starts tonight.  Shannon has been assigned to the Rochester Girls U12 B team - right where she needs to be - playing for our buddy Coach Bart Grafstrom and playing with many of her closest friends.  She even gave me the nod to be on Bart's staff as an assistant coach.  And, of course, Jen is the team's manager (no worries - the team web site and calendar is current!).  Our first practice is tonight at 8:00.  We start playing games in early November.

I know many of you may be thinking this is nuts.  But this is what we like to do. Once the tryout process is behind you it's all good.  Even Erin seems excited about Shannon's team situation.  She knows everyone - many on Shannon's team are 6th grade friends of E. And many of the parents we will be spending much of this winter with have been some of our strongest supporters since Shannon's diagnosis in April.

In a post last week I wrote about placing all our frets and uncertainties in the "God Box" - well after much hand wringing - Shannon's hockey season is lined up to be a winner.  And that has nothing to do with wins and losses.

Erin's basketball practices will get going next week.  We know she's in good hands playing for Team Olson and with the Mayo 6th grade traveling team.  Our winter is going to be crazy!  But there is nothing else we would rather be doing then chasing our kids in and out of Minnesota's finest gyms and rinks. 

One minor detail to work through and we can get on with the fun...my career.  My employer, EFS Transportation Services, is merging with a competitor.  It's a joint venture with a new management team in place to manage the JV.  I'm reasonably confident I'm going to be on the "A" team but until they give me the formal nod...where's that "God Box"?  The merger will take another several weeks to close, maybe longer.  Until I hear otherwise we will keep sellin'.
'
Years ago, my wife introduced me to one of her favorite songs - a George Michael ditty Waiting for That Day.  It's now one of my favorites.  Especially today.

So every day I see you in some other face
They crack a smile, talk a while
Try to take your place
My memory serves me far too well