Friday May 17, 2013

My brain has been in overdrive this week.  Much has been going on, and most of it is good.

The best news this week is that I have a full set of teeth.  Finally!  50 weeks after my initial tooth extraction, my dental implants are in place.  After 3 oral surgeries, countless narcotics, 5 days in the hospital, 30 days with a PICC line in, and 11 months without teeth, I am whole again.  No part of that was fun, except getting to the end.  So that's that.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I did my dental implants and my radiation oncology follow up appointments on the same day.  Dr. Laack is pleased with the healing process.  I have some scar tissue that's causing a little loss of range of motion and, unfortunately for this lefty, it's on my left side.  But, there are exercises and stretches and even further treatment for that if necessary.  All things considered, I am healing very well.  The next step in my cancer journey has me heading back to the Breast Clinic to start a regimen of the anti-cancer drug, Tamoxifen, in the next few weeks.

All in all, a good week for me at the WFMC. (World Famous Mayo Clinic)

Now we are gearing up for a very fun weekend.  Family and friends are coming to town to celebrate the publication of the book.  All these people who supported us and believed in me as I took on this project.  This is the beginning of my great book adventure.  I am so excited to share it with all of them.  It should be quite a party.

Today brought us some solemn moments, though.  We attend the funeral of a woman gone too soon.  Breast cancer took Carla at the age of 50.  Her son Jordan is an only child,  and they had a beautiful relationship.  The love between mother and son, and the way they took care of each other is inspiring.  I hope he can carry on her spirit.  I think he will.

So I left the church today mindful of trying to live a good life.  Each time someone leaves this earth, I am reminded to enjoy my time here on it.  And each time I go to a funeral, I think about Shannon.  We can't know how long we will be here, so do it right each and every day.  Carla did.  Shannon did.  And I'm trying.