Thursday December 11, 2014

I am happy to report that Christmas preparations are now under way at the O'Hara household.  The tree is up, the Christmas card is ready, and I bought baking supplies to make some cookies.  Erin and I even did a little shopping last night.

I've been forced into action over the past few days after purchasing an early Christmas present for myself... I'm getting my very own hysterectomy next Friday!  Woo hoo!  Lucky me!

The past three years have not been kind to my body.  This "disorganized ovulation" began just before we headed to Memphis with Shannon in 2011.  There was the ovary removal due to a cyst and the uterine polyp surgery.  Throw in a little ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), lumpectomy and radiation  and it's fair to say my body has been through the ringer.  That doesn't even count the non-estrogen related osteomyelitis that prompted two oral surgeries, five days in the hospital, and three dental implants.  Hey, maybe I could make a "12 days of Christmas" type song...  "On the first day of Christmas, my body gave to me - twelve medical bills..."

This most recent struggle has become a quality of life issue and a treatment issue for preventing a recurrence of DCIS.  The drug I should be taking doesn't play well with my cycle.  Having the hysterectomy will give me better treatment options for preventing breast cancer.

OK, I know this is TMI for most of you... but, it's a reality for me, so I'm sharing here like I always do... sometimes being a woman just sucks.  I certainly didn't think I was having more kids or anything like that, but it's still hard to admit that I'm getting old.  I still think of myself as young-ish, but young people don't have hysterectomies, so I guess I'm not fooling anyone, anymore...

In the long term it's the right thing to do.  My body is tired and I am tired, too.  In the short term, it will be a royal pain.  If all goes smoothly, I'll spend one night in the hospital and then I'll come home to rest.  I'm hopeful I'll be feeling ok by Christmas.  Recovery time means no tennis/volleyball/personal training workouts for six weeks... could be a long January...

So, I've got 8 days to finish what needs to be done before Christmas.

I think I can, I think I can...