Thursday December 18, 2014

Sleep has been elusive here at the O'Hara household this week.  No doubt tomorrow's surgery is weighing on all of our minds.

The good news is, I've been productive in those early hours of the morning.  I've got my writing job/consulting work all in order for the next 10 days.  Presents are wrapped and Christmas cards are going in the mail today.  One last trip to the store today and then everything that needed to be done is done.  And, the things I didn't get done this year, well, maybe they didn't need doing...

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a bit nervous about tomorrow.  I've gotten more anxious as the week has gone on and I've told a few more people that I'll be out for a while - my tennis group, my volleyball team, the guys I teach with at the RAC.  By the way, it is not a real conversation starter when you tell 30-year-old men that you won't be able to teach tennis for a few weeks because you are having a hysterectomy!  Poor guys, they don't know what to say... I did my best to put them at ease...

I'm not really worried about the surgery itself, but the uncertainty is getting to me.  I'm not so good with unknowns, and I won't know what type of procedure I had until I wake up.  That will determine the amount of pain I'll feel and the recovery time that will be needed.

The thought of 6 or 8 weeks without tennis or volleyball or blast class is a huge bummer.  But in the grand scheme things, it's really just a small bump in the road.  We've traversed rockier ground than this and people go through worse things every day...

I know it's for the best.  Short term pain for long term gain.  If I was having any doubts about whether or not I needed this procedure, well, mother nature is sending me one last cruel reminder this week.  Are you kidding me??  I refuse to go to the store and buy more tampons, so I'm scrounging through every purse and bag I own... argh!@#$!

I guess you just have to laugh at the cruel irony of it.  I'm doing my best!

See you on the flip side...