Wednesday December 3, 2014

I'm not gonna lie - it's been hard coming back to the cold weather.  It's a good thing our school system here is so good or I might be tempted to up and move...

We are settling back into the home routine, though.  Dan is traveling, Erin is busy every night, and I am here to feed the cat and dog.  By the way, Sunny and Sylvie are more than co-existing these days.  I think Sunny even kind of likes the kitty.  They have developed a new chase game and also a new napping spot.  I came home yesterday to find the two of them sound asleep on our bed together.

I cannot believe it is just 22 days until Christmas.  I don't have any decorations up yet - no tree, no stockings - and I'm having trouble motivating.  Erin wants to decorate, though, so I don't think I'm getting by without it.

It will be a different kind of Christmas as Erin leaves for her 13th birthday trip on Christmas night.  Yes, the little princess is off to warmer climates again - she and Grandma and Papa Harkins are headed on a three day Disney cruise to the Bahamas.  Erin's wish for her birthday trip was to swim with the dolphins, so off to the Bahamas they go.

This will be our third Christmas without Shannon.  That's a shock to the system when I say it out loud.  But, we have lots of opportunities to honor her in the coming days and months.  Shannon events will keep us busy through the middle of February.

We just sent out our first ever fundraising campaign letter.  (If you own a business in Rochester, MN, there's a good chance you are getting one!)  It's our first attempt at a charitable giving campaign.  In a perfect world, we will raise enough money to fund our scholarships for the long term.  In a pipe dream world, we'd have lots and lots of money to donate to brain cancer research.  It's ok to dream...

We also just got in our new merchandise - hoodies, ladies zip up sweatshirts, and sweatpants for the kids.  The stuff all looks really cool.  Erin and I have been drumming up business by wearing our gear around town.  The first chance to purchase these new items will be Saturday, December 13th.  We will be at Graham Arena that day during both high school girls hockey games.  JM/L vs. Mayo at 1pm, followed by Austin vs. Century.  I'm not much of a salesman, but if you are looking for a Christmas gift or two, we've got 'em!  I'll be putting these items on the Shannon O'Hara Foundation website store soon for those of you who can't get to the arena.

So, I have no doubt that December will fly by.  It's state debate this weekend, hockey event next, and then we're just days away from the holiday.  I guess I better go dig out those decorations now before it's too late...