Friday August 5, 2011

Erin is down and out with an ear infection.  Of course, it could have something to do with the countless hours the girl spends in the pool.  She can swim for hours.  But the last few nights have been tough.  We're hoping the Amoxicillin does it's magic soon as Erin has a big sleepover birthday party Saturday she is looking forward to.

It's pretty cute to watch Shannon shift into nurturing mode for her sister.  She made Erin toast and set her up with some ice water next to the bed - and made sure she had the remote.  Then Shannon was off to the RAC where she is completely focused on getting stronger.  She worked with a personal trainer Thursday to lay out a conditioning strategy for her soccer and hockey seasons.  Shannon has a 9-week plan in place.  Look out.

Thursday also included another thorough neurological exam with Dr. Keating - our primary peds neurologist.  Dr Keating said Shannon completed her best testing since diagnosis.  Her eye movements were stellar.  Nothing she found would keep Shannon out of competition. 

Going forward, the neuro exams will alternate months with our MRI's.  At a minimum, someone from Pediatric Neurology at WFMC (World Famous Mayo Clinic) will be eyeballing Shannon every month.  That's a tremendous benefit of being a local patient.  If you lived in Wichita monthly exams would be tough.  Again, the care levels we are receiving are phenomenal.  We are grateful.

Shannon's rebound has allowed me to return to digging up sales activity for my employer, EFS Transportation Services.  In fact, next week I will hit it hard on a trip to Peoria and Quincy IL.  Quincy in August...you kidding me?  Doesn't get any better than that.

Need to add another one to the Shannon Blog play list; John Hiatt Have a Little Faith in Me... "When the road gets dark... and you can no longer see... just let my love throw a spark.. and have a little faith in me." 

I also have to affirm a song my wife recommended a few blogs ago... caught me again this week on a walk... Jack Johnson All At OnceOne of these days we will compile and post the Shannon Blog play list.  It's pretty solid.

And today I leave you with a prayer that really works for me when I get stuck in the muck;

Lord, make me a channel of thy peace;
that where there is hatred, I may bring love;
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;
that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
that where there is error, I may bring truth;
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;
that where there is despair, I may bring hope;
that where there are shadows, I may bring light;
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life.
Amen.