The 6th

It was a beautiful, unseasonably warm day here today and that gave way to a bright, almost full moon tonight. Little hints from the universe that we are just tiny players in the big picture.

On this two month marker since Shannon's passing, I found myself feeling pretty good about the ground we've covered. A dear friend sent me a note today that reminded me that on this day, while we think about Shannon, we should also recognize that the three of us are functioning quite well. We are coping. So far, we are making it.

Erin continues to go to school, hang with her friends, and sees her psychologist to help her work through the tough stuff. Erin showed some confidence in herself by trying a new activity this week - she went to her first ever volleyball practice on Monday. She loved it and she's going back tomorrow. All her basketball buddies are volleyball players, and Erin wants to stay busy and stay in the loop with her peeps. So she will give volleyball a try and see where it goes...

Dan continues to travel and stay busy with work. This week he's in Michigan, which is a new territory for him. He is out there doing it, even though being away from home isn't ideal, and making small talk with customers sometimes leads to uncomfortable conversations, like the one he had today. Imagine: potential customer, trying to get to know sales rep guy, asks benign question "How many kids do you have?" I'm not sure we will ever again know the correct answer to that question...

I continue to manage things around the house and I am starting to think about what's next for me. I sent my first inquiry into the publishing world this week, wondering if this 12 month long blog could potentially be something more...

So, we made it through another 6th of the month. We didn't do it alone. Our dear friends and families are there for us, checking in, and encouraging us. While the loss of Shannon can still bring me to tears without warning, I am finding more joy, more happiness in the memories of her. And we find we are happiest when we are with people who are comfortable hearing Shannon's name. Maybe it's all a part of grieving - realizing that we don't want to forget, but that we want to remember...