Thursday May 24, 2012

Big shout out to Mayo Girls Golf.  The Spartans won the Big 9 Championship for the first time in 19 years Thursday.  The first league title for Coach Myhro.  On a soggy Faribault G & CC, Katrina Ruedinger won the individual title with a 77.  Nice playing @k_coolcat!  Katrina texted Jen "we won for Shannon today".

I have been carried through training for the Med-City Half-Marathon by music from the Shannon blog play list.

Here are the top 3 songs that helped me prepare for Sunday's race:

3) Paulo Nutini Rewind - Shannon used to pump up for soccer and hockey games cranking Paulo's New Shoes.  I know Rewind is a song is about a relationship gone bad.  But in my mind where all song lyrics weave a trail back to our life with and without Shannon; "why can't we just rewind?"

2) Jason Mraz Live High - My anthem for gratitude. "Glory God, God is peaking through the blinds..." I thought this might have been a great choice for the funeral service.  But it didn't work out in the context of a formal ceremony.  Regardless, it's a song that I have played -and sang loudly while running- often over the course of our journey.

"try to picture a girl through a looking glass
And see her as a carbon atom, see her eye and stare back at them
See the girl as her own new world
Though her home is on the surface she is still a universe ..."

1) Cold Play Fix You - Rumor has it the O'Hara cousins (see photo below) were crying this at the bar at Michael's til 0:dark:30 the night of Shannon's wake.


O'Hara cousins at the DC Race for Hope - May 6, 2012

"Tears stream down on your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down on your face
And I...
Tears stream down on your face
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
Tears stream down on your face
And I...
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you"

Needless to say training for this race has been easy.  There was no quit in Shannon, there is none in Erin, and I'll be damned if I'm going to whine about 13.1.  Now, there's no chance of me running a full Marathon.  I'm not an idiot.