Midnight January 3, 2012

My body is not interested in sleep at this time.  No doubt, there are some whacked out physiological characteristics taking hold of all of us.  My sweet Jennifer appears to be getting some good rest - she was asleep quickly after going up around 9:00.  I am sitting here watching Shannon sleep peacefully.  I know I should be taking advantage of this time and resting but it just ain't happenin' for me.

We have all sorts of literature around us about the dying experience.  Good resources.  But I just can't pull the trigger and read.  Instead I want to look at pictures.


There are bowl games on.  I should be scouting Andrew Luck.  But I just don't care.  I heard the Badgers lost.  And the Timberwolves got another win.  But I just can't care.  Michelle Bachman's campaign is on life support in Iowa.  But I just don't care.  OK, that was a joke.

Erin was able to get out of the house for a two-hour basketball practice Monday.  She came home in good spirits, exhilarated from the combo of exercise and love from her teammates on the Mayo Spartans 6th grade team.  She has tournament games each of the next three Saturday's.  So January will be a busy month for her. Tuesday morning E will get on the school bus and return to Willow Creek Middle School for the first time in over a month.  I think she is excited - a little anxious about how far behind she will be - but she's a bright child and will catch up quickly.  She also has a staff at Willow that will be watching her closely.

As for Jen and I, Tuesday we will attend to the business of planning a funeral service.  Maybe that's why I can't sleep.

Saturday, Shannon was sleeping and we were surfing around and stumbled across the NHL's Winter Classic old timer's game on TV.  Within two minutes of our recognizing what we were watching our buddy Shjon Podein scored a goal for the Flyer's alumni squad.  Tonight, as I was sitting here blogging I got a text from Shjon with the attached photo of Shannon with Podes son Junior (along with former North Stars goalie Carl Wetzl).


I'm going to miss that smile.  A lot of people will.

I keep catching good songs while I blog...I swear I don't plan this out...this morning I leave you with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Neil Young's haunting voice singing Feel Your Love:

I really want the night to end
I really want the sun to rise
I really want to feel
Want to feel your love
I want to feel your love