Tuesday January 17, 2012

Since Shannon's death, winter has certainly reared it's ugly head. Seems fitting, though. I ventured back out into the world today to run a few errands and I came in contact with a couple of people who wanted to acknowledge our loss. We are "that family" and people have a certain sad look on their faces when they see me. It's hard to bear the weight of it all.

Then there's the flip side - the cheery bank teller who is just trying to make polite conversation and asks, "Has your new year gotten off to a good start?" Wow. I could have ruined her day, but I just bit my tongue and politely smiled. How do I go out in the world and pretend that life is normal? It's hard when people acknowledge Shannon's passing and it's hard when they don't...

Today is one week since Shannon's funeral and I don't want to get any further away from it without officially saying thank you. The outpouring was amazing and we received well over 1000 cards and many donations. The sincerity in each of your messages was greatly appreciated. Please know that Dan and I sat and read every single one. We were brought to tears many times. Due to the sheer volume, we are not going to attempt to acknowledge each of them personally, so please accept this electronic thank you from us.

I had a friend tell me that grief is hard work. I never imagined. I am attempting to keep the mind occupied while allowing time and space for the heart to heal ...

"It is the nature of grace always to fill the spaces that have been empty." - Goethe